Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Alright

I haven't posted anything in a hot minute. Sorry about that.


I just graduated college. The last 4 (ahem. 5) years of my life were spent daydreaming about music, in class. If I am completely honest with you, most of the school hours were spent in my fantasy world opening for the likes of Matt Wertz, Dave Barnes, Steve Moakler, Andrew Ripp, Ben Rector, Nathan Angelo, upon MANY others. I remember this magnet (see above picture) from about 2 years ago. A good friend of mine gave it to me, I came home, slapped it on the fridge, looked at my dad and said, "YOU REMEMBER THIS FOREVER!" Then kicked a door down and shredded a fat solo whilst standing over a floor fan.

Well, that's how I remember it anyways.

College, to me, was much more of a life experience than a study experience. I learned the most important things I will have ever learned during my 4 (ahem, 5. crap.) years at UCCS. The first and foremost important thing I learned was Jesus Christ as my savior. This has changed my life, for the rest of my life. I became a believer in my freshman/sophomore year at school, and I am so grateful for this. The second thing I learned was love. Yes, love. And, the last thing I learned, and it took a little bit, in fact not until I was able to say "I'm Done" did it finally sink in, I am a musician.

There is something about college, and I'm sure those of us who have been there, or are there, might agree upon: it is a safe place to not make a decision. What I mean by this is that while in college, you can still play the "I don't know, I'm still in college card." ie: what are you going to do for the next 5 years of your life? (present card) any plans for work after you get out of school? (present card) would you like to go to lunch this week? (present card)... because im poor. Get it? Sweet.

Anyways, I had the opportunity to pull that card anytime somebody asked me what I was going to do after I was out of school. In my heart, my answer was play as much music and meet as many people as I can with my bedroom tunes (songs written in my bedroom. thought I should clarify). But, I never really had the faith to say that, so I presented what I thought was a sufficient answer.

"I don't really know, I'm still in college."

Behold, graduation, a degree in my hands (in like 6 weeks when they mail it to me), and being asked that question. "What are you going to do now?"

I majored in Sports Management, and it was really cool given the fact that we had connections out the butt with the Olympics, USA Hockey, Manchester United, etc. but I really found myself cringing at the thought of a 9-5. I can't do that. I can't be at a place doing the same thing over and over, no real interaction, nothing. Just go, come home.

I prayed, and prayed hard about what was next. Luckily, I have a band of dudes who are completely solid (it helps they're all insane at their instruments) at music, and at life, that I got to watch and observe.  I prayed, what I really want to do is music. It was a crossroads really. Do I decide that I will take a safe route, go for a job at the Olympic Training Center or something, try to use my degree, or do I take a leap of faith and answer that question with anticipation of the answer: "Oh. That's cool. Don't you think you should get a real job though, on the side? Do music when you have free time?"

As a believer, I am not called to "make my own decisions." I am called to present my requests in prayer, and let boss man guide me in my actions. So, with that said, I went for the musician route.

 It, so far, has been a roller coaster. The music world is a crazy beast. I've heard it plenty of times, have tough skin. You don't really understand until you're there, in it, going for the gold. I put myself out there constantly, and constantly find closed doors, dead ends, and another check on the to do list that wasn't ta-done. I have been on my knees constantly, presenting my requests, and waiting for the leading hand to show me the direction, show me an open door to step through.

Just recently, there have been 2 doors opened that blow a 9-5 out of the water. Well, emotionally anyways, I am not getting paid kind of. HA! Sob... I digress.

First, there is a band named Churchill out of Denver. They just opened for THE FRAY, yep, THE FRAY at RED ROCKS AMPHITHEATER. Thee Red Rocks Amphitheater. Insane. My ultimate goal is to have a show at this venue, so it is kind of a big deal to me. Anyways, they just so happened to have a date in the Springs at a local venue called The Black Sheep on June 29th. Great, I want this show so stinking bad. I emailed probably 3 people, got a friend to email some people he knew, and emailed the manager of this band. Nothing. Not a thing for 3 weeks. Lots of prayer time devoted to asking for an opportunity to play this show...

ALAS! One morning at the gym, after doing 1,000 bench press rows extensions chest-ceps (your basic Avengers workout), I get an email that says, "Hey, if you still want this show, we can put you on." It was from Mike, who works at the Sheep. I jumped out of my skin, my very very ripped skin... ok. Sorry, truth Is I look like Captain America.... before the bod-pod. I digress again. I said HO YEAH! And we were on the bill, but not only that, WE ARE MAIN OPENER. Out of nowhere. Here we are, main opener, to an up and coming band out of Denver. Made.
(show is happening June 29th, Black Sheep, Colorado Springs, Tix are 8 buckaroos)

The second door, is one that has been in the works for a while, and has finally come to forwishen, or fruition. Something like that. Coledge wurked for meh.

I am recording an EP.



Came across these pictures today, they are from recording Searchlights. 3 years ago I recorded my first disk. It was a cool experience, but it didn't really do much. It was fun, but I was still too scared to say that I was a musician. The kid in these pictures has no idea. He just knows he wrote 5 songs and wants so badly to say he is a musician!

Tomorrow morning, 9 am, we hit the studio. Full band. We start tracking for "Alright EP". This EP is the culmination of hours upon hours of dreaming out loud, and it is finally manifesting into a CD that I can present and say "here, this is me."I don't want to give away too much, but, it is going to be epic. You will recognize maybe a couple of the tracks, but you have never heard them like this, and the others are completely new material! SO AWESOME TO SAY THIS.

This is the beginning folks. If I could put a point to this blog, it would be that. THE BEGINNING. It is weird to say that.

So, here is to not knowing what the next few months hold. I have my hopes and prayers, but right now, all I know is that God is good, and I'm like a little school girl giggling because all of this is just too cool.

One more thing actually...
Thank you ALL so much for taking me serious. Music is what beats inside of me, runs through my veins, and out my finger tips to the guitar. There is something inside of me that wants out, and wants you guys to hear it, and so far, you are responding. That, to a musician, is one of the best feelings in the world. I will speak on behalf of all musicians when I say that everything we put out comes from the heart. It is flesh and blood with chords and words attached, so you guys responding and digging what I am doing basically refines the word inside of me, that I am where I am for a reason, and this isn't just some happenstance. I pray this can continue for a long time, and it can continue to grow into something that is so much bigger than me I can't even fathom. It is a process, and I am staying faithful (as best I can) to that, and am saying thank you and come along. Here we go.

What is this dog doing here with a bud lig... oh. dangit.
(some may get this, others, please just pretend the blog ended at along.)

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love your passion! It's inspiring to see that young people -meaning, people my age- believe in their dreams and actually do something to live them.
    Besides, this magnet is purely awesome!

    ReplyDelete